Friday, December 7, 2007

The Alabama and the Drum


On the way to Florida we passed the Alabama Battleship Memorial Park, in Mobile Bay, so when we returned I had to play history buff and take the tour. The tour also included the submarine Drum. What a neat day.
The battleship looked huge. In the picture on the left you can see me standing below the 16 inch guns. Once inside the quarters were amazing and I was surprised how compartmentalized everything was. We walked the entire ship. The view from up near the conning tower was acrophobic. The 16 inch shells were huge.
The submarine was so small, and it was a fleet submarine from WW 2. The picture is of Renita in the conning tower. I was surprised at how cramped everything was. Definitely claustrophobic. I could barely fit through the watertight compartment doors! I sure have a new appreciation for submariners. Clear skies.

No comments: